Facility/Building Manager Tools

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

How do I make changes to building access?

Work with the UW Police Department to make changes to building access. 

On August 31, all campus buildings will return to normal access using their regular business hours, unless the unit(s) in a given building have made special alternative arrangements in coordination with the Office of the Provost, UW Police Department, and FP&M. 

Can we keep our building locked and accessible only via keycard or keys in the fall semester?

Building access will vary in the fall semester depending on the needs of each campus unit. Work with UW Police Department to validate your access plans and to make changes to building access.

Changes to building access must be coordinated with the Office of the Provost, UW Police Department, and FP&M.

Who should we contact about campus mail and US Postal mail deliveries?

Contact FP&M Campus Mail Services (uwcampusmail@fpm.wisc.edu) with questions or to arrange to pick up held mail.

Who is responsible for posting standard signage?

The responsibilities vary depending on the type of signage. Physical Plant will post signs on exterior entrances and inside elevators. Space Management will post signs in classrooms. Building managers and/or their units are responsible for other types of signage, as well as any program-specific signage that is needed.

Do I have to use standard COVID-19 signage in my building?

Yes, you should use standard campus signage to support clear and consistent communication of public health protocols, best practices, and other behaviors that help reduce the spread of COVID-19.  The common signage presents the desired professional appearance for the campus and makes it easy for students, faculty, and staff to navigate and understand health protocols.

Where can I order standard signage?

You can order standard signage from the DoIT Printing and Publishing Services online store. This signage is available at no cost to campus units.

What signs are available?

Check the standard signage packages in the DoIT Printing and Publishing Services online store for the latest list of available signs. We continue to add more signs as needs arise.

How should we mount signs?

Use the mounting/adhesives included with the signs consult the Recommended Usage and Posting Guidance for more information.

What is the maximum occupancy for elevators in my building?

Most elevators in campus buildings have an occupancy limit of five people, though some smaller elevators are limited to two people. Physical Plant will post signs inside elevators to reinforce these limits.

Who is responsible for posting maximum occupancy signs on elevators?

Physical Plant will post signs inside elevators to reinforce these limits.

Who is responsible for posting signs in classrooms?

The classroom support team from FP&M Space Management will post signage in classrooms that are scheduled for use.

Who is responsible for posting signs at building entrances?

Physical Plant is responsible for posting signs at exterior building entrances. If units have posted other materials/signs, they should remove them.

Where can staff get a vacuum cleaner to clean their carpets?

Contact your Custodial Supervisor to make arrangements for access to a vacuum cleaner.

Where can staff get bin liners for their office waste baskets?

Contact your Custodial Supervisor to make arrangements for supplies of bin liners.

Can we add locks to bathrooms to promote physical distancing?

No. Building codes require a certain number of restrooms and fixtures in each building

How do we request additional hand sanitizer stations?

What happens when someone in my building tests positive for COVID-19?

See University Health Service for more information about what happens when someone on campus tests positive.

Are we allowed to prop open restroom doors?

No. Propping open restroom doors (and other interior doors that are designed to stay closed when not in use) negatively affects the ventilation system. Custodial staff may prop open doors temporarily while cleaning and stocking restrooms.

Can we disable or restrict access to water fountains and bottle fillers?

Drinking fountains are required by code and as a part of basic safety practice to provide potable drinking water in amounts that are adequate to meet the health and personal needs of each employee. If a campus unit chooses to restrict their use, they will need to develop a plan to provide an alternative source of drinking water (e.g., single user bottled water) to address this requirement.

Where should we store furniture that has been removed to promote physical distancing?

Work with building occupants to repurpose unused rooms for temporary storage. Storage in any general assignment or departmental classroom must be approved by the Space Management Office (smo@fpm.wisc.edu). Do not place items in mechanical spaces, corridors, stairwells, or landings.

Can we disable air dryers in restrooms?

No. Proper hand hygiene—including both washing and drying hands thoroughly—is a top defense against the spread of germs, including the virus that causes COVID-19.

Can we open windows in our building?

Opening windows is generally discouraged, as it allows unfiltered air (which may contain particulates, allergens, etc.) into the building and may also create undesirable, localized changes in ventilation, temperature, and/or humidity.

In buildings that have openable windows, it is permissible (though still discouraged) to open them when the space is occupied as long as the outside conditions (temperature, humidity, air quality, etc.) are acceptable. Please be sure to close any open windows when leaving the space.

Contact Physical Plant Customer Service with air quality issues (temperature, humidity, etc.) in building spaces.

How should we modify traffic flows in stairways and corridors to support physical distancing?

Use standard signage to indicate how traffic should flow through corridors and stairwells. Encourage people in your building to keep right and keep moving.

Will door knobs be replaced with push handles to reduce exposure?

Not at this time.

Are building managers required to monitor building occupancy levels?

No. Building managers should work with building occupants to post signage, reconfigure spaces, and provide COVID-related cleaning and disinfection supplies as needed.

Is FP&M cleaning all classrooms or just general assignment classrooms?

All classrooms scheduled for use will be cleaned by custodians from the Physical Plant, the Unions, or Housing–depending on where the classrooms are located. Classrooms not on this list will be considered “inactive” and not serviced.

Will the university provide UV-C filters for classrooms and shared spaces?

Not at this time.

Where will students go between classes? Are they required to leave the building?

Students are not required to leave the building between classes.

Is their guidance about enforcing hygiene and face-covering policies?

The UW Office of Human Resources has created a wide variety of resources for employees, including a COVID-19 Workplace Safety Policy and resources for responding to someone not wearing a face covering.

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Building History

The building descriptions listed here were originally published in The Buildings of the University of Wisconsin  by Jim Feldman (The University Archives, 1997).

Note: Buildings are listed here as published in The Buildings of the University of Wisconsin. For complete building names and numbers of current campus buildings, consult the Campus Map or the Facilities List.